Thursday 6 December 2012

Our first bout of homesickness... and dental work

This is a belated post but I thought it was worth writing for those of you interested.

As many of you know, I decided I was going to have some dental work done in Bangkok since we were going to be here anyway. A bit of research proved that it was going to be a LOT cheaper than having it done at home, and it was work that I desperately needed doing anyway.

We arrived in Bangkok late on Saturday night and I'd scheduled the first appointment for early on Sunday morning. Georgia and I were wide awake that morning about 5 am anyway because of the 3 hr time difference so we thought we'd explore the neighbourhood and find the local 7-11 for some supplies.
We were staying in a typical Bangkok working district, as opposed to a more touristy area so the streets wereI  becoming alive with people on their way to work, street vendors were cooking food we didn't recognise and local shop owners were raising their roller doors and packindg away their bedding in preparation for another day's edtrading. I quite enjoy the hustle, bustle and new smells that is Bangkok but when I glanced across at Georgia on the way back to our apartment, tears were flowing down her cheeks. She was clearly not enjoying the experience as much as me; the first bout of homesickness had struck. We had a few more of those teary episodes before reality set in. I can't really blame her, I remember feeling like a fish out of water too on my first ever solo trip to Singapore three decades ago. Bangkok is a far cry from Birkdale, that's for sure. The only thing those two places have in common is a capital 'B'.

We left the apartment at 9 am for my 11 am dental appointment thinking we'd have plenty of time to look around at things on the way. Look around we did but only because we couldn't find the dentist. Just as I was about to give up,  we stumbled upon an English language shop and they kindly gave us directions. Two hours of searching had left me soaked, and it wasn't from rain. I felt sorry for the poor dentist.

"Dr Kim" was really lovely. He spoke good english and we came up with a plan of what I'd have done throughout the week. We were to return for another appointment at 6 pm that night. Can you imagine a dentist in Australia working on a Sunday, let alone at night!  I was a bit nervous about getting dental work done in Bangkok, but after 3 hours preparation work that night I walked out of there with all preparation done for the week ahead, and what's more, I'd almost fallen asleep while it was being done. It was painless, relaxing and completely stress free.

When we returned on  Tuesday for more work, I'd also made an appointment for Georgia to have a check-up and clean because we'd run out of time to do that before leaving Australia. I'm glad it worked out that way because all it cost Georgia for a check-up, x-ray, clean and fluoride was $22. Pretty cheap, isn't it?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, over the next 8 days I had two new reinforced crowns done, 7 porcelain veneers, laser whitening, a home whitening kit, several x-rays and polishing for about one seventh of what it would have cost at home.

For those of you that know me well, you'll know how much I love a bargain!

Although I found the dental surgery through 'Google' alone and it was a big leap of faith to go ahead with the treatment, I can highly recommend leaving Australian prices behind and coming over here for whatever dental work you need (with Dr Kim at Silom Smile Dental Studio). Have a holiday with the savings.
See any recent  pics for the new, improved results.

Cheers
Jan





1 comment:

  1. No lemon grenades. Unless you can just craft it with a peice of string and kill enemies. That would be an awesome little easter-egg esque thingy.click

    ReplyDelete